Welcome to 2nd Grade!
The 2nd grade team is committed to providing your children with a quality education. Our goal is to prepare students for 3rd grade by building on the foundation that has already been laid in kindergarten and first grade.
The Tennessee Common Core Standards guide our curriculum and allows us to teach required standards on a deeper level so that learning is enhanced and retained. Our focus is on reading and math skills and following is an overview will help you reinforce skills at home.
By the end of 2nd grade we hope that our students will be able to read fluently and with expression, and demonstrate comprehension of what is read. We are proud to report that 59% of our second grade students are reading at or above 2nd grade level! Our goal is that we have 100% of students at or above grade level by the end of 2nd grade. You can help your child excel in reading by:
- Reading for enjoyment with your child every night;
- Listening to your child read for 1-minute each night to develop fluency;
- Ask for your child to retell the story (fiction) or tell the main idea and key details (nonfiction);
- Ask open-ended questions after reading such as "What if…..?, What do you think happens next?,
What would you have done if you were in that situation? etc.;
- Change voices as characters change;
- Take them to the library and let them pick out books of interest to them.
In 2nd grade students should be moving toward independence in 2-digit addition and subtraction and measurement. Students will need a full understanding of using base ten, reading and writing numbers to 1,000, and will begin to use regrouping in addition and subtraction problems.
We are proud to report that 68% of our 2nd grade students are performing at or above grade level in math skills. Our goal is that we have 100% of students at or above grade level by the end of 2nd grade. You can help your child excel in math by:
- Signing up for Prodigy math online to practice weekly skills;
- Practice fluent addition and subtraction (flash cards);
- Practice skip counting by 5s, 10s, and 100s from any given number;
- Count coins;
- Make math real world, show them how you use math in real life.
We are looking forward to a great year!
Color copy paper
White copy paper
HP 61 black printer ink cartridges
Cardstock of all colors