Kindergarten is the start to your child's educational journey! Our Kindergarten team wants to provide the best education possible to our students. We currently implement the Tennessee Academic State Standards. Below we have listed some beginning academic skills and social/behavioral expectations that will help your child start with a good foundation into their Kindergarten experience.
Starting Kindergarten skills:
* Writes first/last name (Uses capital and lowercase letters)
* Recognizes upper and lowercase letters
* Counts to 25 or higher independently
* Recognizes numbers 0-10
* Counts objects to match numbers 0-10
* Recognizes colors (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, pink, brown, black, gray, white)
* Recognizes basic shapes (circle, square, triangle, rectangle)
*These skills need to be completed by the student without prompting/assistance in order to be considered mastered.
Starting Kindergarten Social/Behavioral Expectations:
* Follows one and two step verbal directions
* Follows directions and rules with few reminders
* Works and completes classwork independently
* Works and plays well with other peers
* Able to use the restroom independently and complete self-care (ex. Wash hands)
* Working on or can tie shoes
Our goal is to fully prepare your child for 1st grade. Our goal is to achieve mastery of Letter recognition, letter sounds and applying those phonics skills by Christmas break and to have your child independently reading and writing by the end of Kindergarten. With your support at home, we know this can be achieved!
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact any member of the ACES Kindergarten Team.